ADSM-L

Re: SUN F6800's

2003-05-07 20:48:47
Subject: Re: SUN F6800's
From: Dan Foster <dsf AT GBLX DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 00:47:53 +0000
Hot Diggety! Seay, Paul was rumored to have written:
> Now for the sticky wicket.  The SunFire x800 series cPCI and cPCI "IO Boats"
> have a design flaw that cause them to hard crash when using an IO intensive
> application like TSM on them.  SUN had to replace one of our 3800s with a
> 4800 and replace the IO boats in the 6800 and 4800.  I have never seen a

Any relation to Sun Alert ID 53568?

http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/retrieve.pl?doc=fsalert%2F53568&zone_32=53568

:Using RTU Outlets J1 and J2 Simultaneously on Sun Fire 3800/4800/4810/6800
:racks and Sun Fire Cabinets May Cause System Power Outage
:
:SPARC Platform RTU Outlets J1 and J2 on Sun Fire 3800/4800/4810/6800 racks
:and Sun Fire cabinets.

In that bulletin, they say there's no workaround except to not use J2, and
that a fix involves replacement of (what sounds like major) hardware, and
that the symptoms very closely mirrors ordinary errors (OS, application, etc).
All of the above sounds eerily reminiscient of the issue you described.

We haven't been bitten by this because we only have a few V880s and no
other SF-class machines (except for the 280R), but I had just seen the Sun
alert on that particular issue only this morning.

-Dan