ADSM-L

Re: SUN F6800's

2003-05-05 11:05:56
Subject: Re: SUN F6800's
From: Scott Walters <scott_walters AT MACKTRUCKS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 11:05:31 -0400
It depends ;)

We are running a single V880 with 8G RAM, 4CPU, and about 300G local
FCAL disks, and a STK silo with 8 tape drives.

For our env, (~150G and night, ~2T total in silo), even the 880 is
complete overkill.  And I believe you can even do two domains on a
single 880.

From what I've seen, I couldn't imagine any reason why you'd need a
6800, unless you don't tune/configure proplerly and just throw
horsepower at problems.  I've seen backups run where the 100M link (our
server has 4) is the bottleneck.  I'd love to get GIG to see what she
could really do.

No SAN-TAPE experience.

Disk IO is going to be the first and biggest thorn (especially to the
TSM DB), but that doesn't matter if you're on an 880 or 6800 or 15k.
Your options for solving the disk IO beast is the same for all boxes
(SAN, HW RAID, SW RAID).

scott

Reiss David IT751 (ext-CDI) wrote:
Is anyone out there running a TSM Server on a dedicated Sun F6800 machine?
We are sizing our servers for replacement and in sizing IO Requirements with
Sun, TSM, and Storage Tek, we're being directed at the F6800 (which almost
seems like overkill to me) by our vendors.

I was thinking that the V880 or V1280 would be where they would end up
putting us, but the costs of a couple of V1280's or one F6800 with two
domains seem to be about the same.  So, is anybody out there using a very
large machine like the F6800 dedicated to its existance as a TSM server, and
are you experiencing any problems with them?

Normally, I have worked with large RS/6000 AIX machines but my current
company doesn't like AIX, so I'm running with the Solaris bulls now.

Thanks,

David N. Reiss
TSM Support Engineer
david.reiss AT siemens DOT com
407-736-3912

--
Scott Walters
Packet Pusher - "The world speaks IP"

Mack Trucks, WHQ        http://www.MackTrucks.com
2100 Mack Boulevard     Ph: 610.709.3728
Allentown, PA 18103     Fx: 610.709.2809