ADSM-L

AW: Will Hard Drives Edge Out Tape Drives?

2003-04-25 05:31:57
Subject: AW: Will Hard Drives Edge Out Tape Drives?
From: Salak Juraj <j.salak AT ASAMER DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 11:32:59 +0200
Hi,

I do not, I only have large primary disk storage pools capable of holding
about a week of backup data.
It reduces tape handling times and speeds-up some restores.
If necessary, one could expand this strategy to keep all primary backups on
disks.

Otherwise- if the disks-only solution meets your requirements
        if it meets your requirements
        if it meets your requirements
, why not go for it?

One point in question is mentioned in the article itself:
        "There's one aspect in which Dr. Koch's backup
        system can't keep up with tape solutions:
        storing the backup medium in another location
        after the backup has been completed"

Another points to consider could be
-requirement of having redundant backup copies,
-physical backup security (theft) - tapes can be in safe, large raid
probably not,
-existency of long-term backup requirements,
-labour costs - an university can afford to build such array and
 write its own backup solution by themselves,
 but can YOU invest the time neededed?
- performance - as far as I know ATA Raid-s are notoriously much slower
comparing to scsi
- support: while an in-house solution can work for years, it can fail as
well - can you cope with it?

Just my thoughts

Juraj