ADSM-L

Re: ANR8216W Error sending data on socket 53. Reason 32 - Updat e

2003-03-13 14:44:30
Subject: Re: ANR8216W Error sending data on socket 53. Reason 32 - Updat e
From: "Ochs, Duane" <Duane.Ochs AT QG DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 13:43:13 -0600
Problem was resolved. But does not address the original errors.

1-31-2003
Initial backup was done and written to disk.

2-1-2003
Data was migrated to a single tape as part of normal migration process.

3-6-2003
Numerous restores were attempted and failed, reason unknown at this time, no
read or write errors, undocumented generic error logged on
Exchange Client and TSM server.
ANR8216W Error sending data on socket 36. Reason 32
>From previous experience this means the session was interrupted from the
client end and breaks the communication connection.
TSM server and exchange restore box were rebooted in an attempt to clear up
a comm issue that seemed to be happening , based on errors.
Restore attempts failed again with the same errors.

3-7-2003
Pushed file to disk in the event that errors were being produced on the
drive or tape and not being reported to TSM.
Restore was attempted after file was pushed to disk, same errors.

3-8-2003
File was migrated to tape as part of normal migration. File now resides on 2
tapes. Restore attempted same error.

3-11-2003
Both volumes were audited, no errors. Q content "volume" damaged=yes  showed
the file was labeled
damaged in the DB, this may be due to the multiple restore failures.
Backed up the DB. Used an undocumented command to set file undamaged.
3 Restores were attempted... again same failure, there were three failures
at different data locations on both tapes. Using the restored file size
as reference. ( 600 mb vol 1, 8.6gb vol 2, 2.2 gb vol 1)

3-12-2003
File was set to undamaged again, Performed another set of audit volumes, set
volumes to readonly, moved data to disk successfully.
Restore was completed successfully. No errors encountered.

3-13-2003
IS was loaded onto sxexrestore. No errors encountered.

NO drive errors were logged during this entire process.

Based on what we have seen, the file was set to damaged after the first
couple of restore failures, it was then move to disk the first time in the
damaged state, each subsequent attempt failed due to the damaged setting.
When the file was set to undamaged, we were seeing what was really
happening, but there were still no errors to give us a better determination.
I am going to attempt the restore from tape again after the mailboxes have
been extracted.