ADSM-L

Re: Canceling a Reclamation FAST

2003-03-13 14:30:06
Subject: Re: Canceling a Reclamation FAST
From: Alex Paschal <AlexPaschal AT FREIGHTLINER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 11:29:12 -0800
Mark,

I'm not a database guru, but I think I have to disagree.  I think it goes
something like this....

All logged to Recovery Log:
1 Start Txn 402165173
2 Server finishes copying 1GB file from one tape to another
3 Pointer to old copy gets updated
STOP PROCESS
(would have happened:
   4 Pointer to new copy gets written
   5 End Txn 402165173
)

After process interruption, you have a rollback, like you said.  Or, if it's
a crash, you have a Recovery Log Redo.  It sees the start of the Txn, no
end, so it doesn't commit that transaction and rolls it back, rolls those
changes out.  No integrity problem, it just "never happened" as far as the
database is concerned.  That's what the transaction log is for, so you can
roll back interrupted processes.

Can anybody familiar with db internals confirm/deny?

Alex Paschal
Freightliner, LLC
(503) 745-6850 phone/vmail