ADSM-L

Re: Tape question

2003-02-19 01:01:15
Subject: Re: Tape question
From: DFrance <DFrance-TSM AT ATT DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 21:59:45 -0800
You will probably need the nested form of the query, something like...
        select a.volume_name from volumeusage where blah blah blah and -
                a.volumn_name in (select b.volume_name from volumes where -
                last_write_date>current date - 60 day)

We are requesting an enhancement for "restore/retrieve -preview" option, thru
the SHARE requirements process; so far, no official response from development.

Also, I am working with some folks to capture tape vol list via server trace,
for backup data; don't yet know if this technique would work for archive data.

Finally, I previously worked with a client that did a retrieve like this; as I
recall, tapes outside the silo were marked "unavailable" or "offsite" (don't
recall which one), and the retrieve was run repeatedly (3 or 4 times) until
completion.  The "unavailable" state triggered messages in the activity log for
skipped volumes -- they re-ran the retrieve after loading up the missing tapes,
all was okay after about three cycles thru that process.  (For restore, classic
restore previously would run to completion, skipping over unavailable/offsite
vols, listing the tapes in ActLog;  no query restore dies on the first missing
tape --- have not checked this technique on v4 or v5, so a caveat emptor).

Hope some of this helps!

Don France
Technical Architect -- Tivoli Certified Consultant
Tivoli Storage Manager, WinNT/2K, AIX/Unix, OS/390
San Jose, Ca
(408) 257-3037
mailto:don_france AT ayett DOT net (change aye to a for replies)

Professional Association of Contract Employees
(P.A.C.E. -- www.pacepros.com)