ADSM-L

Re: AIT3 vs LTO

2003-01-28 05:27:26
Subject: Re: AIT3 vs LTO
From: Halvorsen Geirr Gulbrand <gehal AT WMDATA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 11:29:02 +0100
Hi Chris,

I can give you my opinion only, and I'll tell you - I have a lot more
experience with LTO than AIT3, and find LTO very good. Especially good
capacity, and fast data transfer. Downside to LTO is perhaps cost of drives
and tapes. (I don't know the cost of AIT drives/tapes.)
As for ADIC Scalar 100, and IBM3583 - they're the same library, with
different firmware, and different front panels. They are basically the very
same library. Both libraries are, in my experience, very stable, and a good
choice for a medium sized library, and very scalable. One thing to watch out
for with TSM and these libs; If you're checking in/out tapes regularly
to/from the library - buy the 12 slot I/O station version (you'll get tired
of checking tapes out, one by one). There are a few things to be aware of
with drivers etc. on the windows-platform, but nothing that can't be done in
30 min.

Well, that's my view on it - hope it helps.

Rgds
Geirr G. Halvorsen