ADSM-L

TSM performance problems

2003-01-17 10:42:18
Subject: TSM performance problems
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 10:39:28 -0500
Hi again!

I have 2 questions.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

1.  This morning I came in and I couldn't log on to the GUI.   I went out
and we were in tape drive allocation and there were several processes
waiting for tape mounts.  (I was seeing this in the logs through JES - my
companies TSM is on the mainframe version 4.1.3)  I couldn't enter commands
and it seemed that things were still running, but I was able to logon and
the clients were also just sitting out there.  They would start a session,
but it never came back.  About 1.5 hours after I noticed this had started,
all of a sudden the session began ending  and I could then logon to the GUI
and look at the logs.  The only thing I could see was that tape drive
allocation problem.  Does anyone know what may have happened?

2.  And on my other TSM server, I have the log maxed out at 4.6 GB.  I used
to only run one full DB backed each day (48 GB database which takes 3
hours) and now I am running about 7 incrementals in between the full to
keep the log from filling up and causing a major disaster.  We changed the
BUFPOOLSIZE parameter from 32768 to 65536.  We also changed the SELFTUNEBUF
pool size to yes and the SELFTUNETXNsize to yes.  I looked into the idea of
a client "pinning" down the log and I haven't come up with anything from
that side.  Does anyone have any suggestions or know of a TSM tuning guide
that might be helpful?

Thanks again!!!

Joni Moyer
Systems Programmer