ADSM-L

Journal Based Backup and Legato Networker

2003-01-10 04:32:43
Subject: Journal Based Backup and Legato Networker
From: "Rupp Thomas (Illwerke)" <thomas.rupp AT ILLWERKE DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 10:31:28 +0100
Hi *SM-ers,

could one of the knowing (ex)-Networker users help me in interpreting the
following sentence
in the "Legato NetWorker, Release 6.2, Microsoft Windows Version
Administrator's Guide",
page 593:

"When using the Change Journal, the NetWorker software can detect more
types of changes and can save more changed files than is possible when not
using the Change Journal."

Networker uses the MS Windows 2000/XP builtin Journal.
So does this mean that a "normal" incremental backup doesn't get all
changes?
As I understand Networker uses the archive flag and the last modified date.

What kind of changes could go unidentified?

Is my understanding correct that TSM always gets all changes (incremental or
journal based
backup)?

Kind regards
Thomas Rupp