ADSM-L

Re: Journal Based Backup and Legato Networker

2003-01-10 06:55:09
Subject: Re: Journal Based Backup and Legato Networker
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 04:54:28 -0700
Some cases I can think of where the archive bit is not a reliable
indicator:

- If you change the read-only attribute via Windows Explorer/file
properties.

- If you modify the file, but then the archive bit is turned off either
manually or via some other utility.

- The archive bit is turned on either manually or via some other utility
when the file has not changed.

TSM does not use the archive bit to determine whether a file has changed.
Please refer to the Windows client manual, chapter 4 "Backing up files and
directories", section "Backing up files and directories", subsection "Full
and partial incremental backup" for specific information on what factors
TSM considers.

For Journaled backups, you can refer to the client manual, appendix D
"Journal service configuration", section "JournaledFileSystemSettings
stanza" for information on what kinds of changes can be monitored by the
journal service (you can customize these settings). The journal service
uses the Microsoft API function ReadDirectoryChangesW() to monitor file
systems for changes. You can find additional information on this at the
Microsoft MSDN site, msdn.microsoft.com. Do a search on
ReadDirectoryChangesW and you will find the reference information for this
function.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Internet e-mail: storman AT us.eyebm DOT com (change eye to i to reply)

The command line is your friend.

"Rupp Thomas (Illwerke)" <thomas.rupp AT ILLWERKE DOT AT>
01/10/2003 02:31