ADSM-L

Re: HSM

2002-12-11 17:34:32
Subject: Re: HSM
From: "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 16:33:18 -0600
Gerald Wichmann wrote:

Anyone have a particularly large HSM environment and been using it a while?
I'm curious on any experiences with the product, good or bad. I would
imagine there must be some people out there who need long term storage of
infrequently accessed files and have considered it as a solution for that.

Gerald Wichmann
Senior Systems Development Engineer
Zantaz, Inc.
925.598.3099 (w)

This e-mail has been captured and archived by the ZANTAZ Digital Safe(tm)
service.  For more information, visit us at www.zantaz.com.
IMPORTANT: This electronic mail message is intended only for the use of the
that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable
law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the
employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received
this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by
telephone or directly reply to the original message(s) sent.  Thank you.

Hi,

I have one customer that may fall into the large HSM category.  They
have a document management program that is based around HSM.  The last
time I did an update to the server they had about 6 Million documents
each of which contains a few to many different files.  They have about
500GB of local storage for the stub files and local cacheing and are
using several 3995 Optical libraries to migrate the data to.

I also work with a different customer that has a similar environment but
it is not as large.  They are only managing about 2.5 to 3 million files
and require only one 3995 library with just over 1 TB of data.

Both of these system work really well.  Performance is very good.  In
fact one of the customers has a requisite to be able to produce any one
of the millions of documents on the screen in under 3 minutes!  That
time includes doing the search thru the application database to
determine the needed files, issuing the recall from ITSM server, loading
the Optical platter, transmitting the data, assemble it and display it
on the screen!  I was quite impressed with how well it handles that.

Like any product it has its quirks but for the most part once it is set
up it just works!

If you have any specific questions or need help with your environment
please feel free to contact me.

--
Regards,
Mark D. Rodriguez

MDR Consulting
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Advanced Business Partner
SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE