ADSM-L

Re: Problems with 3583 Library

2002-11-15 11:52:12
Subject: Re: Problems with 3583 Library
From: "Nelson, Doug" <DNelson AT CHITTENDEN DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 11:48:07 -0500
We had major problems starting out, but all is well now. Here's what happened:

Errors on drives... replaced drives
worked for a month
Errors on drives... replaced drives (IBM said there were some bad drives out
there)
Replaced drives (again) and just about everything else as well.

It turned out to be a combination problem. Drives were bad, but when we
replaced the SCSI card (W2K server), we didn't disable the library device (only
tape drives should be enabled in Win2K control panel), and we had the wrong
SCSI drivers. You need to download the correct ones from the IBM site (not the
Adaptec site).

Since we fixed those problems it has been working great.
We can put your IBM SE in touch with ours if you think it would help.

Douglas C. Nelson
Distributed Computing Consultant
Alltel Information Services
Chittenden Data Center