ADSM-L

Re: TSM cost cutting measures...

2002-11-12 06:05:28
Subject: Re: TSM cost cutting measures...
From: Zlatko Krastev <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 13:00:11 +0200
Correct me if I am wrong but I always thought even right now (I)TSM
licenses are licensed by physical machines. The license was depending on
the size of the box in VBP (TMP-based) and number of processors in
EVBP-schemas. And this ought to be for both server and client. If you run
several server instances over same box it is up to you. If you have many
nodenames or schedulers on a client box - again your decision. The license
covers the box, not the OS instances.

Thus if you have an RS/6000 SP you are buying Tier 3 VBP license (assuming
the SP is >= 24 proc) and can run TSM server on whatever number of nodes
you want.
If you have a mighty Intel box you buy adequate number of EVBP processor
licenses and this ought to cover *any* number of instances in it - be they
Linux native, Linux in VMWare or Windows in VMWare.

You can always ask an IBM/Tivoli rep but better read the Announcement
Letter before. I've argued many times with success to IBMers pointing
*exact* verbage in an Announcement Letter. This is an official IBM written
document which prevales any personal opinion.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

"Cook, Dwight E" <DWIGHT.E.COOK AT SAIC DOT COM>
11.11.2002 19:23