ADSM-L

Re: performace figure Gigabit network

2002-11-12 05:45:48
Subject: Re: performace figure Gigabit network
From: Christo Heuer <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 12:50:47 +0200
Go to a disk staging area 1st - then stream at good speed
to your LTO...

Cheers
Christo
Dear Marc,

I am runnin w2k dual p4 1GB mem 3583 scsi based.

The network is GB.

Right now I am tunning

tcpwindows size
buffpoolsize
txnbytelimit

movetresh
movesize
txngroupmax

The filesystem is filed with small files from 256kb to 15 mb.

The higest performance figure was:

2.126.68 network
886,00 aggregate

FTP does 20 MB a sec ???

So maybe my LTO is performing lousy

( give me magstar any day for small files )

Any sugestions ?

Best Regards,

Koen Willems

>From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
>To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
>Subject: Re: performace figure Gigabit network
>Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 16:29:51 -0600
>
>From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
>Koen Willems
> > Can anybody give me an performance figure on restores speeds of a w2k
> > user directory with lots of small files on a Gigabit ethernet work.
> > I am tunnin resores and want to know wich performance is to be
> > expected on gigabit...
> > W2k + LTO + GB
>
>As with any performance question, it entirely depends upon the file and
>network environment. There are so many variables that asking a generic "how
>fast should it be?" is rather a pointless pursuit.
>
>Instead, follow good practices all around. Tune your server OS to optimum
>file I/O, clear your network of bottlenecks with best practice standards,
>and schedule TSM activities to even out the load as much as possible. If
>you're buying a new server for TSM, buy one with decent memory and CPU
>resources.
>
>If you don't do these things (or don't know how), no amount of fiddling
>with
>TSM is going to give you quality throughput speeds. The #1 reason (in my
>experience) for poor throughput in TSM is bad and/or poorly maintained
>networks.
>
>--
>Mark Stapleton (stapleton AT berbee DOT com)
>Certified TSM consultant
>Certified AIX system engineer
>MCSE

"The information contained in this communication is confidential and
may be legally privileged.  It is intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorised to
receive it.  If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby
notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action
in reliance of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited
and may be unlawful.  Absa is liable neither for the proper, complete
transmission of the information contained in this communication, nor
for any delay in its receipt, nor for the assurance that it is
virus-free."