ADSM-L

Re: Computer Associates - Brightstore Resource Manager for TSM

2002-10-29 22:15:07
Subject: Re: Computer Associates - Brightstore Resource Manager for TSM
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 21:13:38 -0600
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
Lisa Cabanas
> FWIW, a little while ago, a CA tech person was onsite for two
> days with the
> operators here (unbeknownst to me, like the TSM admin should know,
> anyway...) checking out our operation and set up.

Welcome to CA. They'll market at you until you give in, or until you slam
the door in their face. Then, once you buy and install the software, they'll
quit returning phone calls.

Example of dumb programming: the marketing rep will neglect to tell you that
CA UniCenter (their network and system management piece) uses UDP packets,
instead of TCP. What does that mean? It means that there has to be a
UniCenter server install for every segment of your network, because UDP
packets can't be sent through a router.

(What, me bitter??)

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer