ADSM-L

Re: 3584 tape questions

2002-09-20 09:10:28
Subject: Re: 3584 tape questions
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 08:04:43 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
David Longo
> Do you know how to access the info on the chip?  I've seen the few
> comments in sales lit/manuals that have a couple of sentences but
> no info on how to access.  It's supposed to have for one thing
> the total/partial stats for the life of the tape.  I assumed the
> library or
> drive was updating that info.  Any way to access with tapeutil or
> 3584 library Storwatch?

We've had this discussion at the office. As far as we have been able to
tell, the specs for chip access are published (although I've not been able
to find them), but no one appears to have written anything to access them.

If you're so inclined, go for it. Supposedly the chip stores data such as
number of mounts and dismounts, total mileage (inchage?) the tape has
undergone, date of last mount, etc.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MCSE