ADSM-L

3584 tape questions

2002-09-18 22:27:03
Subject: 3584 tape questions
From: Dan Foster <dsf AT GBLX DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 02:25:02 +0000
I've finally got the new 3584 library up and worked through all hardware
and TSM issues, and just finished with the first round of successful tests.
Looks sharp! Currently tuning the setup (disk, memory, network, TSM, etc).

Environment: AIX 4.3.3 ML10, pSeries 660-6H1, TSM 4.2 (5.1 next week)
to 4.2.2.12, SCSI attachment to host, 3584-L32 and 3584-D32 frames.

Two questions about 3584 tapes --

        1. Is it normal for it to take 45 seconds to read/verify the
           label on the tape? The tape load itself is pretty quick, but
           takes forever-and-an-half to read/verify the label.

        2. There's two label sources -- one is the barcode scanner, which
           works great and *very* quick, and it seems the other label
           source is on the tape somewhere.

           Where exactly on the tape is the label preserved, other than the
           volser bar code label? Is it in the LTO-CM area of the tape? Or
           is it on the first part of the tape, or something?

           I'm curious about this because the implications is that if I
           do destructive read-write tests with tapes involving overwrite,
           I might potentially overwrite the label, and have to relabel it?

           The documentation suggests that 'LABEL LIBVOL' for a 3584 would
           update label in the LTO-CM area of the tape cartridge, but it
           isn't real definite or clear on that point.

-Dan