ADSM-L

Re: Graphics error on AIX after TSM server upgrade

2002-09-12 12:23:10
Subject: Re: Graphics error on AIX after TSM server upgrade
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 12:09:04 -0400
Upgraded to TSM 4.2.2.10.  Same problem exists.  Decided to look
at Tivoli Knowlodge Base and searched for "Graphics".  Bingo!
An immediate hit.  APARS IC33403 and IC34068, related to TSM
Server 4.2.2 and 5.1.0 PTF's cause this.
Local fix is:

In /etc/inittab where server is started, the output by default is
directed to /dev/console.   Need to direct to /dev/null or a real
file.  Reason per Tivoli is:
--------------------------------------
The problem occurs as a result of an ioctl issued against the
console (/dev/console) to obtain its window size.  Since the
console had no open window, the ioctl was failing.
No word on fix yet.

I tried it here and it works.

David Longo

>>> tsm AT PLCS DOT NL 09/12/02 02:43AM >>>
David, the word for today is : Upgrade

We have seen this also several times and the problem was solved by
upgrading to a higher level of tsm server.

good luck

Peter

At 13:33 11-9-2002 -0400, you wrote:
>I have an RS6000 (pSeries) 6H1 with AIX 4.3.3 ML10.
>Just upgraded TSM server from 4.2.1.10 to 4.2.2.0.
>New server works o.k.  However the AIX "errpt" now shows
>a graphics error several times a minute, may skip a few minutes
>before next error.  I have GXT-130P adapter and it appears to
>be working o.k.
>
>Here is one error, info is same each time.
>LABEL:          GRAPHICS
>IDENTIFIER:     E85C5C4C
>
>Date/Time:       Wed Sep 11 13:12:06
>Sequence Number: 16269
>Machine Id:      000304AF4C00
>Node Id:         tsmserv1
>Class:           S
>Type:            PERM
>Resource Name:      LFTDD
>
>Description
>SOFTWARE PROGRAM ERROR
>
>Probable Causes
>SOFTWARE PROGRAM
>
>Failure Causes
>SOFTWARE PROGRAM
>
>         Recommended Actions
>         IF PROBLEM CONTINUES TO OCCUR REPEATEDLY THEN DO THE
FOLLOWING
>         CONTACT APPROPRIATE SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE
>         REPORT DETAILED DATA
>
>Detail Data
>DETECTED   FAILED    RC   ERROR LOCATION
>  lftwput               0  2009  21
>---------------------------------
>
>Any suggestions?
>Thanks,
>

>David B. Longo
>System Administrator
>Health First, Inc.
>3300 Fiske Blvd.
>Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
>PH      321.434.5536
>Pager  321.634.8230
>Fax:    321.434.5525
>david.longo AT health-first DOT org
>

>"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
>  annotations on 09/11/2002 01:34:48 PM
>This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain
>confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged information.  No
 If
>you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and
all
>copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it, and
notify
>the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose,
>distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not
the
>intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all
e-mail
>communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed
in
>this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1)
where
>the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a
particular
>entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such
>or opinions.

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 09/12/2002 12:10:36 PM
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential,
proprietary, or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or
privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this
message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your
system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not,
directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of
this message if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the
right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or
opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the individual sender,
except (1) where the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a
particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such
views or opinions.