ADSM-L

Re: TSM move off of mainframe????

2002-09-10 10:02:26
Subject: Re: TSM move off of mainframe????
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <DWIGHT.E.COOK AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 06:57:22 -0700
Problem there is the tape media on which all the client data is stored.
Is the same media available both on your ~mainframe~ and on your Sun box ?
probably not so you're out of luck in general
(and I like IBM/AIX boxes more than Sun/Solaris, just me...)
I took two environments off MVS a long time ago.
Basically, simply started the nodes new on the Unix TSM server...
gave the MVS environment enough idle time to where most of the data expired
naturally
performed deletes of the "backups" of the filespaces to clear non-essential
data
then the few nodes that still had critical archive data, I renamed the
nodes, exported them to virtual volumes on the Unix server, then imported
them.
A pain and takes a LONG time but gets the job done...

Dwight