ADSM-L

Re: query tape volume that is no longer known to TSM

2002-09-05 22:12:35
Subject: Re: query tape volume that is no longer known to TSM
From: "Marcel J.E. Mol" <marcel AT MESA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 22:30:45 +0200
On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 11:56:21AM -0700, Michelle DeVault wrote:
> I think I know the answer to this question, but I'm
> gonna ask it anyway.
>
> I've got a couple of "orphaned" tapes at our off-site
> facility.  They don't show up in TSM at all (q volume,
> q drmedia, q volhist).  I'm assuming that they are old
> database tapes that got deleted from the volhistory
> before the list of tapes to return from off-site was
> generated (the guy that handles this tends to wait too
> long to recall stuff from off-site).

I've the same 'problem' and our TSM-consultant just says
"yes, taht is what happens wen you don't bring in your
'vault-retrieve' tapes on time".  I was very dissapointed
and it seems braindead to me...
I think TSM should always at least keep the last status info
about a volume unless it is explicetly ordered to remove a
volume from its database.

> So the question is, once I get these tapes back from
> off-site, is there any utility/command I can run on
> them to see what is on them, just to make sure that
> something else even more screwy hasn't gone on?

Just checkin the volume as scratch.

-Marcel
--
     ======--------         Marcel J.E. Mol                MESA Consulting B.V.