ADSM-L

Re: TDP for Domino not backing up files

2002-08-30 16:34:15
Subject: Re: TDP for Domino not backing up files
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 16:32:03 -0400
> She gets a call from a user that they are missing lots of stuff in their
> Notes DB (of course, it had to be the AUDIT department :-( ). Discover
> that the *ONLY* backup for this Notes DB is from a month ago, when the
> original backup was performed on this box. Their DB hasn't been backed up
> since, even though they use it daily. Investigation into the sched logs
> only shows one strange error messages, during one of the backup runs,
that
> talks about another backup running at the same time, which we can't
figure
> out how this was possible. No other error messages !
>
> So, what gives ?   Why isn't this file being backed-up ?

Zoltan,

The backup of each database and its backup status
is logged on the TSM server. If you redirect the
console output of the domdsmc command, you should also
see what happened when that databases was attempted
to be backed up each time.

I have seen situtations when a database gets into
a state that says "backup already in progress".
That happens when a backup is ended abrubtly
(like a Cntrl-C or a crash). In that situtation,
the only way to clear it is to shutdown your Domino server.
In the next release of the Domino client, we are
providing a command to RESET a database that gets
into that situation.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

- Never cut what can be untied.
- Commit yourself to constant improvement.