ADSM-L

Re: Mainframe networking

2002-08-30 16:39:23
Subject: Re: Mainframe networking
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 14:12:30 -0400
> You keep mentioning configuring the DSM.OPT file with the "addresses". Why
> not use a name and let DNS resolution take over. Then to move things around,
> just change DNS. You could try out lots of different scenarios without
> having to keep changing the DSM.OPT files on all your clients.

We currently have numeric addresses in the options files. In retrospect
this was a mistake. My previous job left me very uncomfortable with the
idea of having the success of the backups depend on the availability of
DNS. The organization involved set up three redundant name servers in
the same room, on the same network segment, and dependent on the same
electrical power feed. It has since sunk in that my current employer
got it right. We are planning to switch to a DNS name in the course of
the migration. It is not clear that this changes the problem in any
fundamental way. It is not clear to me when the TSM client software
converts a DNS name to a numeric address (this appears to be one the
many things Tivoli thinks nobody needs to know). If we have to bounce
the scheduler process or service to get the translation redone we will
still need to have both old and new numeric addresses functional during
a transition period measured in days.