ADSM-L

LTO Tape OR 9840

2002-07-24 15:19:25
Subject: LTO Tape OR 9840
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 15:17:32 -0400
Hello everyone!

The environment here is going to be changing soon... We will be moving off
of the mainframe and onto an AIX server that will be on our SAN.  We will
have 1 STK silo for the tapes for 2 TSM servers.  Right now we are
considering IBM's LTO or STK's 9840.  I was just wondering if anyone out
there has had experience with either one and if so,  what are the pro's and
con's of them?  Has anyone that has worked with LTO know how long it takes
to recover a bad tape?  Considering that they are 100GB tapes, it was
assumed that it would take 5 times as long as it does to recover a Magstar
3590(20 GB).  And also, do the tapes get damaged easily or is that all a
matter of handling them to take them offsite to vaults?  Thank you!!!!

Joni Moyer
Associate Systems Programmer
joni.moyer AT highmark DOT com
(717)975-8338