ADSM-L

Region size for TSM

2002-07-17 09:33:24
Subject: Region size for TSM
From: "MC Matt Cooper (2838)" <Matt.Cooper AT AMGREETINGS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 07:57:10 -0400
Hello all,
        I am looking at the TSM 5.1 Quick Start book for Os/390 + z/OS.  In
chapter 2 there is a section  'REGION SIZE FOR YOUR TIVOLI STORAGE MANAGER
SERVER.  The section goes through a process for determining the best region
size to assign to TSM.  The last sentence says,  'Specifying 0M will result
in poor server performance.'    WHY?
        I am dealing with a long outstanding, not solved problem.  I have my
region size up at 1000M.  (I am using a 9672-x57 that has about 7GB of
memory on the lparand a TSM server with a 25GB DB and 230 clients).   The
problem is TSM will 1 or 2 times a week  start using all of 1 processor to
do some simple work, like run 5 migration processes.   I will take TSM down
and up.  It then continues on getting work done faster and using 1/4 of one
processor.   Does TSM do something with memory assignments internally that
too large of a REGION causes a problem?
Matt