ADSM-L

Re: DB backups

2002-06-14 10:59:16
Subject: Re: DB backups
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 09:57:14 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
Jolliff, Dale
> Is anyone doing db backups to disk using devclass type FILE?

Yes.

> I know, it's not necessarily a good thing, but right now we have a db that
> is large enough that the log can fill before a full db backup can run.

You can run an incremental backup to FILE, which won't take up that much
room.

Actually, the size of the database has nothing to do with the use of the
log. The log is filled with TSM transactions that are waiting to be
committed to the database.

Your best choices for solutions are

1) Increase the size of your log (if possible)
2) Run more than one backup of your database each day (incremental or full)
3) Change your logmode to normal (if it's currently in rollforward mode)

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MSCE