ADSM-L

Re: TSM 4.2/AIX setup questions

2002-06-13 22:51:13
Subject: Re: TSM 4.2/AIX setup questions
From: Dan Foster <dsf AT GBLX DOT NET>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 02:46:25 +0000
Hot Diggety! Miles Purdy was rumored to have written:
> NO! Remember that a copypool is a complete copy. So everything that is
> offsite is onsite.
>
> TSM does not need the offsite tapes to reclaim them!

Ah, that is a good point, when put that way. ;)

> But you are correct: You could send a tape out Monday, 10% used (90% percent
> reclaimable). Reclaim it during the day (Monday), and ask for it back
> Tuesday. With LTO tapes this can be mitigate by using a high reclaim, like
> 90%, or 10-to-1. Or run reclamation less often, like every second day. If you
> don't run reclamation you could have 100GB tape with 1KB used, stuck in your
> vault.

Ick, that'd be really nasty and an huge waste. Duly noted, thanks.

> Also make sure that you don't use collation on a copy pool, unless this is
> what you REALLY want. In general I don't think you want to you. Not using
> collation will keep fewer tapes, more full. Preventing tape thrashing, if you
> like.

Indeed. I read about that...sounded great at first, but then soon realized
that potential for tape thrashing was probably going to be too great given
how we manage the tape environment here. So it's definitely not going to be
enabled. (But I appreciate the TSM folks having made that an available option.
Options are always great to have, even if not used.)

-Dan Foster
IP Systems Engineering (IPSE)
IP Systems Engineering (IPSE)
Global Crossing Telecommunications