ADSM-L

Re: TSM 4.2/AIX setup questions

2002-06-13 09:27:54
Subject: Re: TSM 4.2/AIX setup questions
From: Miles Purdy <PURDYM AT FIPD.GC DOT CA>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 08:25:35 -0500
1) Is there any particular reason to set a max file size for a disk stgpool?
   (Assuming a setup where disk stgpool will migrate to tape stgpool)
Generally yes, if you will be backing up a file larger than the stgpool. If you
will be backing up a file larger than the stgpool it may be more efficient to
send it right to tape, this is the general rule.

2) Should the TSM server have its own stgpool for backing up itself?
A. I don't think so. Do you mean the filesytems on the TSM/AIX server? No, it
doesn't _need_ its own.

3) I've heard mixed things about 358x firmware version 22UD... I think we
   have 18N2 (but not near it right now to confirm), although what I've
   heard about 22UD is generally (but not 100% in agreement) positive. Stable?
A. I'm using 22U0, things seem good.

4) Whom is supposed/allowed to upgrade firmware? IBM CE only?
It depends how comfortable you are performing the work.

5) The only docs for firmware upgrade references a NT/2000 box and the
   NTUtil application, whereas I'm in an all-UNIX (AIX and Solaris, although
   I do have a laptop with Linux and Windows XP if need be) environment, so
   wonder how to upgrade the firmware without Windows if it's even possible.
A. You can upgrade the firmware from a drive (drive to drive) or from a tape
cartridge. Check the docs for the main panel.

6) To *SM, all backups are incrementals (except for the first backup of a
   new client), is my general understanding. Is there a way to force a full
   backup of a particular client as an one-time operation? I'm guessing maybe
   not, but thought I might try asking, anyway. :)
A. This is called an 'archive'. There is plenty of docs on this.

7) The biggest single question... I don't have a real good understanding of
   the purpose of copy stgpools. I've read a lot of documentation -- hundreds
   of pages of multiple docs, re-read, read old adsm-l mail, Google searches,
   etc... but still just don't quite 'get it'. I can set up HACMP clusters,
   debug really obscure things, but this eludes me. ;)
A. Copy pools are for offsite. Copy pools are what is in your vault. A copy
pool is a complete copy, usually offsite.

   What I want to do is:

   client -> TSM server -> disk stgpool -> (automatically migrate to tape
   based on space utilization of disk stgpool) tape stgpool

   That's the general concept of what I want to achieve. Is a copy stgpool
   really needed, to be attached to either one of the primary stgpools?
> Yes! You really should have a copy of your data somewhere else.

   I was under the impression that a copy stgpool was something you wanted
   when you wanted to copy a primary stgpool so that you could send it to
   another stgpool when ready (based on whatever trigger...space, date),
   such as in a disaster recovery scenario?
> Almost, you do send the (primary) data to another (copy) pool, but all the
> time. I would do something like this, everyday:

1. backup your clients to disk (disk storage pool)
2. make a copy to a copy storage pool (OFFSITE)
3. backup from the disk storage pool to your primary storage pool
4. backup your database, devconfig, volhist
5. send the OFFSITE tapes and the database backup offsite
6. during the day run reclamation on each storage pool

Miles

Miles Purdy
Miles Purdy
System Manager
Farm Income Programs Directorate
Winnipeg, MB, CA
purdym AT fipd.gc DOT ca
ph: (204) 984-1602 fax: (204) 983-7557

"If you hold a UNIX shell up to your ear, can you hear the C?"