ADSM-L

Include/Excludes revisited - again, for the 5.x client systemobje ct

2002-05-22 09:55:26
Subject: Include/Excludes revisited - again, for the 5.x client systemobje ct
From: "Jolliff, Dale" <xjolliff AT TI DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 08:53:37 -0500
Server: TSM 4.2.2.0 / 3466 configuration
Client:  TSM 4.2.1.19 and 5.1.01 on Win2K

(Partial) Option set as displayed from client with dsmc "q incexcl"
Excl All       *\...\*.exe                    Server
Excl All       *\...\*.dll                    Server

This should exclude any file(s) in any directory that ends in .exe or .dll,
right?

Just for the sake of argument, I also tried - in the local DSM.OPT file,

Exclude ?:\...\*.dll
Exclude ?:\...\*.exe
EXCLUDE.FILE ?:\...\*.dll
EXCLUDE.FILE ?:\...\*.exe

None of which will apparently exclude some 127MB of .DLL and .EXE files that
get sent to the TSM server as
(for example)
Normal File-->            28,432 \\adsm2000\c$\WINNT\system32\XCOPY.EXE
[Sent]

I opened a PMR with support about this under 4.1.2.19 and was told that
certain .DLLs could not be excluded unless the
SYSTEMOBJECT was excluded...  However, I find it hard to believe that
XCOPY.EXE is a critical system file that must be backed up with the
registry.

I changed the DOMAIN statement to include only the C: drive, and the .exe
and .dll files were not sent.

I have over 1500 nodes on this TSM server, and each of them sending a
minimum of 127MB per day to the server results in a very large amount of
turnover - over 1600 objects per node that have to be expired and space
reclaimed, when those objects really haven't changed.

I do want the registry backed up, but I don't want the overhead of all those
.DLLs, every single backup... is there anyway around this?
Is there some option that can be introduced (hopefully in a client option
set on the server) that will the newer clients operate like the 4.1 clients
that didn't send .DLLs with the system registry?