ADSM-L

Re: Include/Excludes revisited - again, for the 5.x client systemobje ct

2002-05-29 23:51:52
Subject: Re: Include/Excludes revisited - again, for the 5.x client systemobje ct
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 22:49:52 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On
Behalf Of Jolliff, Dale
> Just for the sake of argument, I also tried - in the local DSM.OPT file,
>
> Exclude ?:\...\*.dll
> Exclude ?:\...\*.exe
> EXCLUDE.FILE ?:\...\*.dll
> EXCLUDE.FILE ?:\...\*.exe
>
> None of which will apparently exclude some 127MB of .DLL and .EXE
> files that
> get sent to the TSM server as
> (for example)
> Normal File-->            28,432 \\adsm2000\c$\winnt\system32\xcopy.exe
> [Sent]
>
> I opened a PMR with support about this under 4.1.2.19 and was told that
> certain .DLLs could not be excluded unless the
> SYSTEMOBJECT was excluded...  However, I find it hard to believe that
> XCOPY.EXE is a critical system file that must be backed up with the
> registry.
>
> I changed the DOMAIN statement to include only the C: drive, and the .exe
> and .dll files were not sent.
>
> I have over 1500 nodes on this TSM server, and each of them sending a
> minimum of 127MB per day to the server results in a very large amount of
> turnover - over 1600 objects per node that have to be expired and space
> reclaimed, when those objects really haven't changed.
>
> I do want the registry backed up, but I don't want the overhead
> of all those
> .DLLs, every single backup... is there anyway around this?
> Is there some option that can be introduced (hopefully in a client option
> set on the server) that will the newer clients operate like the
> 4.1 clients
> that didn't send .DLLs with the system registry?

The story is that all files within winnt\system32 directory are considered
"system files", probably to make sure that the entire system32 subdirectory
is backed up frequently, and also because much of the contents of the
system32 subdirectory *are* system files.

The reason why your domain statement (domain c:) excludes the .exe and .dll
files is because explicit domain statements will, by default, exclude all
systemobject backups. If you want to back up specific systemobjects, look at
using commands such as BACKUP EVENTLOG, BACKUP REGISTRY, etc. You can find
help files on all these by running your command-line client, and typing the
word HELP at the tsm> prompt.

Others on this list have complained about backing up all the systemobjects
and associated files. Me? I'm rather happy to have them backed up
frequently.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MSCE