ADSM-L

Re: 3590s in a Aix environment

2002-04-08 14:31:39
Subject: Re: 3590s in a Aix environment
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 14:31:20 -0400
=> On Mon, 8 Apr 2002 14:09:44 -0400, David E Ehresman <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE
DOT EDU> said:

> How have folks in an Aix environment handled a 3494 library with 3590 drives
> and a mixure of J and K (standard and extended length) carts?  Do you try to
> control which storage pool goes to which length cart or do you just let the
> library randomly pick?  If you control, how do you control which carts get
> assigned to which pool?

This is what I've done:

I label the K tapes in a different volser than my J tapes.  So, for instance,
I've got A00001... and then I've got KA0001...

I check in the KA volumes as private volumes in the storagepools where I want
them.  The A volumes stay scratch.

There is no fundamental reason not to have all the J and K tapes equally
available in the scratch category, except that you probably have a purpose in
mind for the K tapes.

Allen S. Rout