ADSM-L

Re: question: db-backup

2002-03-20 07:10:11
Subject: Re: question: db-backup
From: robert <robert AT PLCS DOT NL>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 07:58:15 -0500
Hi Joachim,

What kind of network are you using now? Is there something wrong with
your NIC. With Tokenring you should at least get around 4 Gigabyte/Hour.
Maybe consider compression on you ba client.

Robert.

> Hi again Joachim,
> Yes you will receive 'file in use' message. What kind of database are
you
> talking about and is it a online backup you are doing? You can try to
change
> mode on the database during backup (but I´m not sure it will help) or
make a
> database export and backup the exported copy.
>
> //Henrik
>

> |--------+------------------------->
> |        |          "Stumpf,       |
> |        |          Joachim"       |
> |        |          <joachim.stumpf|
> |        |          @DATEV.DE>     |
> |        |          Sent by: "ADSM:|
> |        |          Dist Stor      |
> |        |          Manager"       |
> |        |          <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MARI|
> |        |          ST.EDU>        |
> |        |                         |
> |        |                         |
> |        |          2002-03-20     |
> |        |          11:30          |
> |        |          Please respond |
> |        |          to "ADSM: Dist |
> |        |          Stor Manager"  |
> |        |                         |
> |--------+------------------------->
>   >-------------------------------------------------------------------
---------|

>   |       To:     ADSM-
L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU                                         |
>   |       cc:     (bcc: Henrik
Wahlstedt)                                      |
>   |       Subject:     Re: question: db-
backup                                 |
>   >-------------------------------------------------------------------
---------|

> Hi Henrik,
>
> thanks for your answer.
> But if we start the backup while application has the db allocated, we
usually
> should get the "file in use"-message.
> Or not?
>
> At the moment we are testing the OSA-Gigabit-Adapter to backup our
Nodes ;)
> Then the problem with the network should be solved...
>
> --
> regards / Mit freundlichen Gruessen
> Joachim Stumpf
> Datev eG
> Nuremberg - Germany
>

> Henrik Wahlstedt <SHWL AT STATOIL DOT COM> (Mittwoch, 20. März 2002,
11:13:35, CET):

> > Hey,
> > As you write 'To backup the db the application which uses the db
has to be
> down.
> > ' answers your question. No.
> > Aren´t you having a networkproblem with speed less than 0,5Gb/hour?
> >
> > //Henrik
> >

> > |--------+------------------------->
> > |        |          "Stumpf,       |
> > |        |          Joachim"       |
> > |        |          <joachim.stumpf|
> > |        |          @DATEV.DE>     |
> > |        |          Sent by: "ADSM:|
> > |        |          Dist Stor      |
> > |        |          Manager"       |
> > |        |          <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MARI|
> > |        |          ST.EDU>        |
> > |        |                         |
> > |        |                         |
> > |        |          2002-03-20     |
> > |        |          10:45          |
> > |        |          Please respond |
> > |        |          to "ADSM: Dist |
> > |        |          Stor Manager"  |
> > |        |                         |
> > |--------+------------------------->

-------|

> >   |       To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> |
> >   |       cc:     (bcc: Henrik Wahlstedt)
> |
> >   |       Subject:     question: db-backup

-------|

> > Hi together,
> >
> > We have a database to backup with TSM. This db is 2GB and the
backup takes 5
> > hours.
> > To backup the db the application which uses the db has to be down.
> >
> > Is it possible to start the application during the db-backup?
> >
> > --
> > regards / Mit freundlichen Gruessen
> > Joachim Stumpf
> > Datev eG
> > Nuremberg - Germany

> > Statoil: The information contained in this message may be
CONFIDENTIAL and is
> > intended for the addressee only. Any unauthorised use,
dissemination of the