ADSM-L

Re: Unload DB question

2002-03-05 16:28:54
Subject: Re: Unload DB question
From: Daniel Sparrman <daniel.sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 22:20:36 +0100

Hi Michael

Yes, the load/unload procedure is a kind of house cleaning feature.

This is probably something that would result in about 100 messages in the list, but i'd suggest to do a unload/load at least once a year. Preferable, every quarter. However, as this is a time consuming procedure, normal installations, according to my experience, doesn't do this at all.

Doing an unload/load procedure, can shrink your database up to half it's size(or more depending on how long you have been running). If you consider this, and compare to a harddrive, doing a seek on data placed on only half of the hardrive is much more faster than doing a seek on data placed on all of the harddrive.

And, consider that TSM does this seek all day long, doing reclamation, backups of storagepools, migrations, restores and backups and so on...

Yes, you can speed up your TSM installation doing a unload/load.

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman

Daniel Sparrman
Exist i Stockholm AB
Bergkällavägen 31D
192 79 SOLLENTUNA
Växel: 08 - 754R>Bergkällavägen 31D
192 79 SOLLENTUNA
Växel: 08 - 754 98 00
Mobil: 070 - 399 27 51

"Anderson, Michael - HMIS" <Michael_Anderson AT HMIS DOT ORG>