ADSM-L

Bad performance with FC attached disk and tape

2015-10-04 17:12:14
Subject: Bad performance with FC attached disk and tape
From: Daniel Sparrman [mailto:daniel.sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Hi

We have a system configured as follows:

One P-Series 610 with dual 450 PowerPC processors
1GB RAM
2 18.2GB Ultra3 15K drives which are mirrored and contains AIX system =
and
Tivoli logs
2GB Ultra3 15K drives which are mirrored and contains Tivoli database
(30GB large)
One IBM FibreChannel card
One locally attached IBM Magstar 3575-L32 with 3 3570C drives.

The system is attached to a SAN and has a dispool of totally 150GB on a
Compaq FC disk cabinett.

The system also is attached to a IBM 3584-L32 which as 2 SCSI drives
connected through a IBM SAN Data Router (2108-R03) and one fibre =
attached
LTO drive which is connected through a SAN switch(Compaq).

The system uses 3 100Mbs Ethernet adapters, one which really are a =
Gigabit
Ethernet card but is running at 100Mbs speed.

When backup occurs, we have a good performance; normally about
15.000-16.000KB/s in Network speed, and about 6000-7000KB/s in =
Aggregate
Transfer Rate.

However, when the diskpool gets full in the middle of the night, and =
the
TSM server starts migrating data to the drives in the 3584-L32, =
performance
drops. We only get about 500KB/s-600KB/s throughput in the fibre =
attached
drive. The AIX server however, has a good throughput through the FC
adapter, and the Compaq disk cabinett has a throughput of about =
10-14MB/s
to the AIX server.

If we do a storagepool backup from the 3575-L32 to the 3584-L32, the =
speed
is good.

If we do reclamation, or database backup, the speed of the FC drive is =
also
good.

Can this has something to do with the FC adapter? Should this =
configuration
require 2 FC adapters?

The first thing that hits me is that the FC adapter can't handle the
throughput, doing both backup from clients to SAN attached disk, and =
doing
migration from SAN  attached disk to SAN attached drives.

If we do a migration in the morning, when no backups are running, we =
get a
speed of around 27MB/s on the fibre attached drive with compression. =
So,
the FC drive has good performance, when no backups are running.

Can somebody tell me whats wrong?

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman

Daniel Sparrman