ADSM-L

Re: confused

2001-11-12 22:36:56
Subject: Re: confused
From: Gabriel Wiley <wileyg AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 22:30:18 -0500
Richard,

More info on your question, taken from Redbook SG24-5477-00

Multi-session client operation
The new multi-session function is completely transparent to the user. There
is no
need to switch it on or off; it starts automatically. The Tivoli Storage
Manager
client decides if a performance improvement can be gained by starting an
additional session to the server.
The client determines the number of started sessions to transfer the data
according to the speed of the current workload.
The multi-session function involves three types of threads: compare, data
transfer, and monitor.

? Compare thread
The purpose of the compare session is to generate a candidate list of files
that
have to be transferred to the Tivoli Storage Manager server (backup or
archive). As soon as one transaction limit is reached, the list with the
files for
that one transaction will be handed over to a data transfer thread. The
compare thread starts a session to the Tivoli Storage Manager server of the
type node. There can be one or more compare threads at the same time.

? Data transfer thread
A data transfer thread is responsible for the file I/O, the compression,
and
sending the data and waiting for the commit of the transferred data. The
data
transfer thread starts a session to the Tivoli Storage Manager server of
the
type node. There can be one or more data transfer threads at the same time.

? Monitor thread
The task of this thread is to monitor whether the backup or archive
operation
could speed up if more data sessions were to be started, so that multiple
data
sessions could run at the same time. The monitor thread does not open a
separate session to the Tivoli Storage Manager server.
The design of the function is to have one thread creating transactions (the
compare thread) and one or more threads reading the files from disk and
sending
data to the server, each with its own session to the server. The monitor
thread
decides how many sessions should be used.

The advantages of this implementation are good load balancing capabilities
(can
be used on a single file specification) and (estimated) good performance
gains on
backups that send large amounts of data to the server.

Gabriel C. Wiley
ADSM/TSM Administrator
AIX Support
Phone 1-614-308-6709