ADSM-L

W2K 4.2.1 LTO Ultrium Tape Errors Accessing Data!

2001-11-02 15:08:45
Subject: W2K 4.2.1 LTO Ultrium Tape Errors Accessing Data!
From: "Joshua S. Bassi" <jbassi AT IHWY DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 12:04:00 -0800
All,

Has anybody else experienced a problem restoring data from LTO tapes on
TSM server version 4.2.x?

I tried to restore a large amount of data and ran into "Data unavailable
on server" from the client.  On the server I received the below error
messages.  I audited all of my volumes and each one is having major
problems reading data that was written successfully just a few days ago.

After I cleaned the tape drives, I updated all my volumes to read-only
and performed a fresh backup onto 2 different tapes using 2 different
tape drives.  The backup indicated it was successful but then when I
audited the volume I received many error such as the ones below saying
there was an I/O error while trying to read the tape.

I have a severity 1 call open with IBM L2 and they are analysis my trace
output.  I would recommend that anybody using TSM 4.2.x and LTO Ultrium
tape drives audit at least 2 volumes to verify they can successfully
read the backup data.

ANR8302E I/O error on drive LTO2 (\\.\TAPE1) (OP=READ, Error
Number=1117, CC=0, KEY=00, ASC=00, ASCQ=00, SENSE=**NONE**,
Description=An undetermined error has occurred).  Refer to Appendix D in
the 'Messages' manual for recommended action.

ANR2335W Audit Volume has encountered an I/O error for volume 000005L1
while attempting to read: Node nodename, Type Backup (Active), Filespace
\\nodename\\c$, fsId 1, File Name \filename

W2K SP1
TSM Client/Server 4.2.1.0
Nodes are W2K, NT & Novell 5.1
IBM 3583 tape library with 2 Ultrium drives
LTO device driver 5.0.2.4
2108-R03 SAN Data Gateway Router
2 x 2109 FC Switches
LAN based backups