ADSM-L

Unavailable tape drive on AIX

2001-10-16 04:00:08
Subject: Unavailable tape drive on AIX
From: Robert Dowsett <Robert.Andrew.Dowsett AT HYDRO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 09:42:05 +0100
We have recently been having a problem with one of our 3590E tape drives.
We have 9 drives attached to our AIX 4.3.3 TSM server.
We are using TSM server version 3.7.4.5.
All of our tape drives are located in a storage-tek ACSLS library.

Yesterday the drive went to "Unavailable" in TSM. We reset the drive and it
is both looking and working fine from AIX and ACSLS. An IBM engineer has
also checked out the drive and given it the all-clear.
However when we came to set the drive online again in TSM (using the update
drive command) we got the following error message:
"ANR2032E Update Drive; Command failed - internal server error detected"

We then deleted the drive from TSM and tried to define the drive again
(using define drive ACS0 rmt7 device=/dev/rmt7 acsdrvid=0,0,10,3)
However we were unable to do this due to a similar error message.
"ANR2032E Define Drive; Command failed - internal server error detected"

Even after restarting the TSM server we still cannot redefine the drive (we
get the same error message).
We have managed to delete and redefine one of our other tape drives.

Has anyone got any suggestions about this error and how we can redefine our
drive?

Regards

Robert Dowsett

IS Partner, Norsk Hydro