ADSM-L

Re: Does compression cause retries?

2001-10-10 16:37:06
Subject: Re: Does compression cause retries?
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 16:35:17 -0400
On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 08:20:24 -0600, it was written:

>Oh vastly experienced TSM wise ones!

Oh, please! You'll turn our pretty heads...

>We have a box with some large files, and a slow network, so I turned on
>compression to see if it would speed the backup, but I think it may have
>backfired. It looks to me like I just caused resends.
>
>From the client schedule.log:
>10/02/2001 04:45:27 Normal File-->     109,740,032
>/fnsw/local/oracle/oraIDB_sig  Compressed Data Grew
>10/02/2001 04:45:47 Retry # 1  Normal File-->     109,740,032
>/fnsw/local/oracle/oraIDB_sig  Sent

Yes, you did.

TSM scans files and estimates the compression ratio prior to
compression and transmission of the compressed file. If the file is
open or changes between the time the estimate was done and the time
the compressed file is ready for transmission, you'll get the above
message.

The answer? Use a TDP agent (it looks like you're working with Oracle
files) designed to backup open files, if possible. Otherwise
compression is just going to stretch out the amount of time needed to
do the backup. (You're lucky the sucker didn't retry 4 times!)