ADSM-L

Re: Stop/Restart Scheduler on NT Client

2001-08-06 10:09:48
Subject: Re: Stop/Restart Scheduler on NT Client
From: Lisa Cabanas <CABANL AT MAIL.MODOT.STATE.MO DOT US>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 09:18:20 -0500
In the NT world, you have to be a machine's administrator to stop/start a
service.  Running netsvc remotely requires you to be that admin, which in
some shops is a jealously defended right (rightly or wrongly I won't
debate-- it seems that the fact that you are the TSM admin and have the
BIG key to all the data is totally missed when discussing machine "admin"
rights...).

The easiest way around this is to run the script-- it will run in the
context of the security of the scheduler service which is usually an
admin, and you can always schedule an "immediate client action" to kick
off the schedules, so you don't have to wait for the query sched period.
You can also update passwords this way too-- all without you, personally
having the NT god mantle.  (AND, you don't have to rub the NT admins face
in the fact that you know how to get around the roadblock).

just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary....
lisa

Michel Engels <Michel.Engels AT DEVOTEAM DOT BE>
08/06/2001 04:33 AM