ADSM-L

Re: 3494 library / VOLSER problem - SOLVED

2001-03-21 17:32:10
Subject: Re: 3494 library / VOLSER problem - SOLVED
From: Allen Barth <allen_barth AT SCUDDER DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 16:31:55 -0600
To do a list database, I have to take the 3494 offline.  Now 'search
database' with no parameters will yield a list of everything 100 at a time
and I suppose I could stand there looking for the cell(s) containing the
offending carts.  But a 3494 in HA with home location of 'float' could very
possibly have moved those carts to new cell locations, thus making the
results of 'lookup' rather useless.  Here's where a search database
function where I could say 'show me what's in wall 4 column c row 26', much
like 'show me carts with 012e category' or 'show me carts beginning with
cln*' would be extremely usefull.  With that type of query I'd be able to
tell which host owns the cart and could run a process to copy off data and
then eject the cart so it could be relabeled or reinited.

It could be all quite simple and slick whereas today, IMHO, it is tedious
and time consuming.

Just my thoughts.

                    Mahesh Babbar
                    <mahesh.babba        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    r AT ST DOT COM>            cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: 3494 library / VOLSER
problem - SOLVED
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA
                    RIST.EDU>

                    03/20/01
                    09:43 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

     Well,

     >Nonetheless, I view the 3494's INability to tell me what is in a slot
     a huge oversight in its' design.

     For this, on the Library Console, if you select 'List Database' in the
     Databse Option, you can generate a list of volumes, their cell
     nos(slot), category so on so fourth.

     Try it out.

     Regards

     Mahesh