ADSM-L

Re: deleting data of tape cartridges

2001-03-19 08:05:52
Subject: Re: deleting data of tape cartridges
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 08:06:27 -0500
>Richard, you're right but I thought that the commands (delete filespace,
>delete volume) are only clean up the database and not deleting anything on
>the physical tape cartridges.
>
>I'm looking for a method to delete data on tape cartridges physically.

Ah - what you're looking to do is erase the tapes for security reasons...
Tape technology such as the 3590s have magnetic servo tracking recorded on
them, so it's not possible to degauss then as the quick means of erasing
the tapes.  Like decommissioned disks, then, you have to run a utility to
rewrite the entirety of the media.  I had to do this a while ago with 3480s we
were surrendering.  I used the tapeutil command's "erase" function, which took
care of it nicely.

  Richard Sims, BU