ADSM-L

Re: Performance Large Files vs. Small Files

2001-02-14 12:27:20
Subject: Re: Performance Large Files vs. Small Files
From: arhoads <arhoads AT PACBELL DOT NET>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 09:03:52 -0800
Diana,

Each file backed-up requires a database update to record the backup.  If
each file is large the transaction rate is slower than if each file is
small due to the time it takes to send the file to TSM.

The only optimization is to tune the database & logs by spreading the
load across multiple disks (remember not to use a disk for more than one
database or log volume) and tuning the bufferpools to keep the numbers
as close to 100% (database cache hit %) and 0 (log pool % wait).

Steffan