ADSM-L

Achievable throughput using Gigabit connections?

2001-01-26 09:24:53
Subject: Achievable throughput using Gigabit connections?
From: Steve Schaub <Steve.Schaub AT HAWORTH DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 09:10:44 -0500
I am looking to find out what kind of mb/sec other shops are getting.  Our
environment is:
AIX 4.3.3 Server (3466-C00 = H50 2cpu, 1gb mem, 2-gbit ethernet, 1-100mb
ethernet) running TSM 3.7.3.8
3494 library using 3590E drives with 3590K tapes
Switch is Cisco 6509 on a dedicated vlan segment
Client is HP V2200 (16cpu, 12gb mem, 1gbit ethernet dedicated to backup vlan)
running TSM 3.7.2 under HP-UX 11.0

Specifically, when we try to archive a 100gb Oracle database on the HP (as a
file system with approx 450 files, not using EBU/RMAN, residing on an EMC 3700
Symmetrix), we are seeing aggregate throughput in the 6-7mb/sec range, which
translates into approx 4.5hrs.  When we watch the Aix monitor, the gbit
interface varies from 15 down to 1.5mb/sec.  The cpu never goes over 20%.  The
consultant who helped us get this installed & setup claims that a business down
the street with almost identical hardware/software is able to get a single
backup stream to do 80gb/hr.  So far we have involved HP, Tivoli, Aix, Cisco,
EMC and almost every techie in our shop without being able to find a conclusive
answer as to where our bottleneck is.

Are other shops seeing anything close to 80gb/hr in a single stream using gb to
gb ethernet connections?  Any pointers as to where to look, or recommended
tools for at least diagnosing the problem?  Thanks in advance.

Steve Schaub
Haworth, Inc
email: Steve.Schaub AT Haworthinc DOT com