ADSM-L

Windows NT Restore Performance

2000-11-16 14:32:16
Subject: Windows NT Restore Performance
From: "Joshua S. Bassi" <jbassi AT IHWY DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 11:33:01 -0800
All,

What type of performance are you getting backing up Windows NT
servers to an RS6K ADSM server?  I have a customer who was
getting 650KBps on a restore from a disk storage pool.  After
I made some performance tuning changes (i.e. TCPWindowsize 32,
TCPBuffsize 32, upgrade the client to 4.1.1.16, Resource 10,
largecom yes, txnbytelimit 25600 etc.) our performance is up
to 1.29MBps.  That still seemed slow.  Then I found that my
customer is using NTFS compression for the entire data
partition.  When we turned compressed off and also uncompressed
the data before backup, our transfer rates got up to 3.1MBps
that's 11GBph.

1) What type of rates are everybody seeing on NT file system
restores?

2) If we backup the data with the compressed attribute, and
then uncompress the entire volume including the data, then
restore the data from ADSM, the data comes back compressed
on the file system bringing my rate down to the 1.29MBps.
I would like it to come backup from ADSM on the NTFS file
system uncompressed so that the restore will be at the
3.1MBps rate, but I haven't found a way to do that. Is there?

AIX 4.2.1 ADSM 3.1.1.5 (upgrade plan in progress)
Windows NT SP5 TSM 4.1.1.16
Average file size 65KB
100 Ethernet fast-duplex hard-coded

We are not retrying to backup files and we are not using
client compression.

--
Joshua S. Bassi
Joshua S. Bassi