ADSM-L

Re: Windows NT Restore Performance

2000-11-16 15:59:14
Subject: Re: Windows NT Restore Performance
From: Eugene Klaus <Eugene.A.Klaus AT FLAGSTAR DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 15:38:30 -0500
Josh,

Are you the fellow formely with Dickens?

At any rate I have had this same problem.
To solve it we developed a plan using 2 (can be more than 2) clients. The
process was set up utilizing an exclusion listing based upon the alpha location.
Client-A backed up all directories starting with [a-j]* and excluded all
directories begining with
[k-z]*. Client-B reversed the roles. The major problem is to determine the data
load. It may require some digging to balance
where the load is. In our case it was noted that [a-j]* held little data while
[k-z]* had copious quantities. Tha answer was to adjust this number of clients
to reflect a reasonable level of data and to provide the maximum threads
possible for backup.

This means also, that the administrators must be aware of the root directories
for files requested for restore. This means they must come to work with there
brains engaged.

Respectfully,

Gene Klaus
eklaus AT flagstar DOT com
248-709-2100

"Joshua S. Bassi" <jbassi AT IHWY DOT COM> on 11/16/2000 02:56:45 PM