ADSM-L

Question on event logging and exceptions.

2000-09-29 13:20:52
Subject: Question on event logging and exceptions.
From: Daniel Swan/TM <Daniel.Swan AT TELUS DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 10:21:26 -0700
To keep on top of backup failures, I have written a small perl scrip that
does a "q ev" every ten minutes, and pages me if there is an exception.   It
has just ocurred to me, however, that often backups do not become
marked as an exception until long after they were expected to start.

In the case of a missed backup, I gather that it won't be registered as an
exception until after the "duration window" has been exceeded.  Is this
assumption correct?

In the case of a failure, I gather that ADSM keeps on trying until the
"duration window" has been exceeded, and isn't report until after that
window is exceeded... is this assumption correct?

My point being this:  If a backup is scheduled to start at 2am, and has a
duration window of four hours, and it misses or fails, this isn't recorded
in the event log until 6am, is it?     (And if so, it's little late to
react, so maybe my JIT pager reaction scheme is a bit flawed).

Any help appreciated.

Thanks all,
Dan.