ADSM-L

Re: Perl or Skripts

2000-07-17 12:09:27
Subject: Re: Perl or Skripts
From: John Schneider <jdschn AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 11:09:27 -0500
Jens,
    We have written some scripts in perl/cgi that create a web-based
manager/operator interface for TSM and ADSM (it works for either).  You
can run it from any browser.  It allows you to click on single buttons
to do all the common daily things to maintain a TSM server, like check
tapes in or out, label them, view the activity log (we added some
filtering, etc that TSM left out), monitor processes, sessions, and
requests, view the accounting records in a nice tabular way, handle DRM
media, and more stuff besides.
    For example, one of the things I never liked about the 'q libvol'
command is that it gives you the serial numbers of your library volumes,
but doesn't tell you anything about them, like what storage pool they
are in, or how full they are.  So we wrote a button that combines the 'q
libvol' and 'q volume' into one readable table that tells you everything
about the volumes that are in your library.  Ditto for the 'q drmedia'
command, which we have extended to include everything that a user need
to know about their DR media.
    The utility runs using the apache web server, and was originally
built for the Unix platforms, but we could port it to NT, etc. without
too much trouble.   Since it is written in perl, you would have access
to all the source code.   It would be easy to add your own functionality
to it, or we could code up modules specific to what you want to do.
    If you would like a demo of it, give me a call.  This is not a
shrink-wrapped product, but we are planning to charge something for the
utility, mainly to recover the costs of developing it.  Of course, we
can also help with installing it, customizing it, etc.
    Sorry if anyone thinks this is a commercial; I was just answering
the question.

John Schneider

* John D. Schneider   Email: jdschn AT attglobal DOT net * Phone: 636-651-4641
* Lowery Systems, Inc.
* 1329 Horan                  Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are
* Fenton, MO 63026                   mine and mine alone.