ADSM-L

caching and compression

2000-03-23 01:53:09
Subject: caching and compression
From: Gerald Wichmann <gwichmann AT SANSIA DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 22:53:09 -0800
Initially when we set up our TSM 3.7 server we had caching on for our disk
storage pools. We also had compression on, on the client boxes. We found TSM
has this bug however (least I assume it?s a bug), where occasionally a
backup will fail because it will think the storage pool is full. The client
is supposed to tell the server ?hey I?m sending this file over and it?s XXX
bytes in size?. The server then clears up that much space in the storage
pool by removing cached files. However sometimes during compression the
files grow larger then was originally reported and thus when the file gets
xferred, TSM tells the client the pool is full and thus the backup fails.
Quite a limitation so we turned caching off and haven?t had the problem
since.

Does anyone have any additional experiences with caching? Is it safe to have
caching on if we have compression off on all client nodes? It seems caching
on/compression on is a bad tandem.. something never readily mentioned in any
classes or redbooks I?ve taken/read. I?m curious as to what experiences
others have had..??

Gerald Wichmann
RS Engineer
Sansia System Solutions