ADSM-L

Re: DR and unlike tape devices.

2000-02-09 08:27:04
Subject: Re: DR and unlike tape devices.
From: Scott Fluegge <sfluegge AT VENATORGROUP DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 08:27:04 -0500
Steve,

Do not fear...  You can use stand alone drives at your DR site, even if you use
a robot on-site.  Just make sure that they use the same drive types (duh!).
That is exactly how we run our tests here and will be doing just that in March.

Our case:

I have 3 primary ADSM servers that share a 3494 Library with 16 3590 drives.
Each server has about 400 private tapes on site.  For our next disaster test we
are going to restore 1 ADSM server and 3 of the nodes attached to it.  To do
that I am having all of the DR tapes for that node sent to our hot site.  When I
get there, the ADSM node will be restored from a Maksysb tape which will restore
the ADSM software.  Then I can just change the devconfig to reflect that I am
using stand alone drives and not a library.  Here is a before and after example
of the devconfig...

          /* IBM AdStar Distributed Storage Manager Device Configuration */
          DEFINE DEVCLASS 3590TAPE DEVTYPE=3590 FORMAT=3590C
          ESTCAPACITY=10485760K MOUNTLIMIT=4 MOUNTWAIT=60 MOUNTRETENTION=10
          PREFIX=ADSM LIBRARY=3494LIB1
          DEFINE LIBRARY 3494LIB1 LIBTYPE=349X DEVICE=/dev/lmcp0
          PRIVATECATEGORY=400
          SCRATCHCATEGORY=402
          DEFINE DRIVE 3494LIB1 D1 DEVICE=/dev/rmt0
          DEFINE DRIVE 3494LIB1 D2 DEVICE=/dev/rmt1
          DEFINE DRIVE 3494LIB1 D3 DEVICE=/dev/rmt2
          DEFINE DRIVE 3494LIB1 D4 DEVICE=/dev/rmt3
          DEFINE DRIVE 3494LIB1 D5 DEVICE=/dev/rmt4
          DEFINE DRIVE 3494LIB1 D6 DEVICE=/dev/rmt5

Configured for stand alone drives...

          /* IBM AdStar Distributed Storage Manager Device Configuration */
          DEFINE DEVCLASS 3590TAPE DEVTYPE=3590 FORMAT=3590C
          ESTCAPACITY=10485760K MOUNTLIMIT=4 MOUNTWAIT=60 MOUNTRETENTION=10
          PREFIX=ADSM LIBRARY=3494LIB1
          DEFINE LIBRARY 3494LIB1 LIBTYPE=manual
          DEFINE DRIVE 3494LIB1 D1 DEVICE=/dev/rmt1
          DEFINE DRIVE 3494LIB1 D2 DEVICE=/dev/rmt2
          DEFINE DRIVE 3494LIB1 D3 DEVICE=/dev/rmt3
          DEFINE DRIVE 3494LIB1 D4 DEVICE=/dev/rmt4
          DEFINE DRIVE 3494LIB1 D5 DEVICE=/dev/rmt5
          DEFINE DRIVE 3494LIB1 D6 DEVICE=/dev/rmt6

At this point I will do a dsmserv restore db and be on my way.  The drives we
use will then show the tape they require to be mounted as we restore the rest of
the nodes...  It will be awfully tedious to do manual mounts but the company did
not want to pay the extra money to have a library on site!

We have done it this way successfully in the past and hope to do so again this
March!

Scott

Steve Harris <steveh AT WESLEY.COM DOT AU> on 02/08/2000 05:46:20 PM