ADSM-L

Strange archive behaviour with -subdir=yes

2000-01-28 07:09:31
Subject: Strange archive behaviour with -subdir=yes
From: "Bates, Richard" <Richard.Bates AT VERTEX.CO DOT UK>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 12:09:31 -0000
I have been using ADSM for some time now but every day I see something that
shocks me or makes me scratch my head.

I have 300-400 clients, however one of these has just reported that one of
his scripts which he has been running for years has just started failing.

Basically they have a file which contains a list of directories and files
that they wish to archive.  This file is read by a script which fires off
multiple archive commands, one for each line in the file.  For example

        dsmc arch "filespec" -subdir=yes -desc="whatever"

For example the file currently contains amongst other things the line

        /etc/hosts

The archive is failing.  What the archive process is trying to do is archive
other "hosts" files in subdirectories under the "/etc/" directory.

For example when I run the following as root: (they use a different userid)

        dsmc arc /etc/hosts -subdir=yes -desc="test"

The following results are produced:

Archiving-->             1,544 /etc/hosts . Sent
Archiving-->               286 /etc/inet/hosts . Sent
Archiving-->                14 /etc/net/ticlts/hosts . Sent
Archiving-->                14 /etc/net/ticots/hosts . Sent
Archiving-->                14 /etc/net/ticotsord/hosts . Sent
Archive processing of '/etc/hosts' finished with 0 failures.
Total number of objects inspected:       45
Total number of objects archived:         5
Total number of objects updated:          0
Total number of objects rebound:          0
Total number of objects deleted:          0
Total number of objects failed:           0
Total number of bytes transferred:    1,175
Average file size:                      381
Compression percent reduction:        39.40%
Elapsed processing time:            0:00:01

I am very surprised to see that /etc/inet/hosts and others are archived too,
when I have specifically specified a single filename "/etc/hosts" in the
archive command.

Is this usual behaviour?  If so, we need to have a look at hundreds of
backup scripts which are probably archiving files we do not want to be
archived.

Confused?
Richard.

Technical Services (ADSM) - Dawson House
Int: 33298  Ext: 01925 233298

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com