ADSM-L

Re: "FULL" volume has no data - but unable to delete the volume?

2000-01-18 17:09:44
Subject: Re: "FULL" volume has no data - but unable to delete the volume?
From: Steven P Roder <tkssteve AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 17:09:44 -0500
> I have found that running an "audit volume XXXX fix=yes" on the volume
> brings it back into line.  The audit process prints a message about
> correcting the volume information.  The tape is then set to EMPTY
> status.

Yes, and I would recommend against allowing it to go into STGREUSE.  That
is, re-mark it offsite until the reuse period on the storage pool expires,
and then do a "delete vol xxxx" to force it to go scratch.  I have seen
the dreaded "error inserting row into table" errors when a STGREUSE
volumes fills.  I reported it to IBM, but since I do not have support,
they would not look at the problem.  My workaround was to mark the tape
Read-Only.

Steve Roder, University at Buffalo
VM Systems Programmer
UNIX Systems Administrator (Solaris and AIX)
ADSM Administrator
(tkssteve AT buffalo DOT edu | (716)645-3564 |
http://ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu/~tkssteve)